POSITION: Senior Researcher
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Duration: 16 months, starting on February 18, 2019
Line Manager: Research Coordinator
Deadline for applications: 15/02/2019
Description of the task
The Senior Researcher will be part of a Beirut-based small research team composed of another senior researcher and a research coordinator. This team will operate in the framework of an EU-funded 18 months project aimed at contributing to the formation of inclusive, accountable and effective structures of sub-national governance in the Middle East. The research team will be primarily tasked to ensure high quality, agile and reliable research material to the use of the action’s stakeholders through various tools, including analysis on conflict and community dynamics and successful governance models.
Required core skills
- Deep knowledge of the Middle Eastern socio-political framework and its regional and international implications.
- Proven-track ability in analyzing different Middle Eastern local contexts in relation to the wider geopolitical and socio-economic framework.
- Good knowledge of the various Middle Eastern sub-national and national governance issues.
- Strong mediation and negotiation skills with regional and international partners, donors, different local stakeholders, community leaders, professionals, cadres of technical directorates of sub-national governance entities.
- Proven-track ability in constant interacting and managing of networks of field researchers in various Middle Eastern geographies, adapting work attitudes and requests according to the specific contexts.
- Demonstrated skills in defining research problems and design ad hoc questions.
- Strong experience in data collection for applied research in human sciences.
- Proven-track ability in analyzing data and contextualizing them in a wider geopolitical, historical, socio-economic and cultural framework.
- Demonstrated skills in produce written and oral outputs to different audiences and in various registers, and tailoring communication according to the required context.
Additional requirements and skills
- Bachelor’s university degree preferably in Human Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
- Full proficiency in English is a must.
- Full proficiency in Arabic is a relevant asset.
- Work experience of result-based approaches and counterfactual analysis will be considered as a relevant asset.
- At least four years of work experience in a similar position.
- Strategic capacity to analyze complex environments, assessing risks and needs from a variety of sources.
- Familiarity with qualitative analysis software like Maxqda and with data collection software like Kobo is preferable.
- Good working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet programs, particularly MS Word and MS Excel.
Please include in the resume a detailed list of publications. Also, please enclose two research writing samples in English and/or Arabic.
To apply, please send an updated cv with references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify in the object: Senior Researcher_SC
Applications can be sent up to February 15nd, 2019.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted. COSV can ask candidates to attend more than one interview, costs to attend the interviews are not refunded by the organization.
POSITION: Senior Researcher