JOB TITLE: Project and Country Coordinator, Albania
PLACE OF WORK: Tirana, with frequent trips around the country mainly in Southern Albania
EMPLOYMENT RATE: 100 %
START DATE: June 2022 or shortly thereafter
DEADLINE: 1 year with the possibility of extension
COSV – Coordinamento delle Organizzazioni del Servizio Volontario is an organization with a legal personality, established in Italy in 1968, engaged in carrying out development interventions and humanitarian aid in Europe, the Balkans, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East. Peace, respect for human rights, and environmental protection are the main pillars on which COSV action is focused, pursuing a comprehensive development approach, coordinating with local communities and establishing strategic partnerships and networking.
COSV në Shqipëri, as a local branch of COSV, is a non-profit organization active in Albania since 2018. COSV is currently implementing in the country the following Projects:
Green-Al “Empower Grass-Root CSOs for Improved Innovative Environmental Protection in Albania” is funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) in partnership with Co-PLAN, Institute for Habitat Development, CISP Sviluppo dei Popoli and VIS Albania aiming to strengthen environmental organisations, promoting cooperation between civil society actors, public authorities and the private sector as well as to advocate and address environmental issues in Albania.
The revitalisation of Multifunctional Center of Kolonja, a IADSA funded project where COSV is assisting local authorities in implementing training programs and Incubation Processes for Social Economy Initiatives aimed at empowering rural women engaged in the production of typical food products at the Municipality of Kolonja.
Toka Jone, an EU funded under Instrument Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA II) of the EU Budget (EuropeAid/171607/DD/ACT/AL). TOKA JONE is expected to Support Social Entrepreneurship through the re-use of confiscated lands and the promotion of social agriculture. The Project is implemented by a consortium led by Coordinamento delle Organizzazioni per il Servizio Volontario (COSV), Albanian Network for Rural development (ANRD) and Consorzio Nazionale della Cooperazione di solidarietà sociale Gino Matterelli (CGM) – with its affiliated entity Consorzio La Rada (CLR), in collaboration with the Agency for the Administration of the Seized and Confiscated Assets (AAPSK) with the direct and intense support of the 2 Municipalities of Durres and Tirana.
COSV në Shqipëri works in accordance with the COSV Integrated Programme for the Western Balkans, focusing on the promotion of fair societies and social inclusion, the conservation of natural capital and the support for sustainable economy and tourism.
Lakes of Albania ( Laghi d’Albania) is an AICS funded Project aiming to promote innovative models of sustainable and responsible tourism in the areas related to the two main lakes of Albania – Lake Shkoder and Lake Pogradec/Ohrid – as opposed to models of invasive tourism and development in strong expansion throughout the Albanian territory, in order to contribute to the inclusive economic growth of Albania.
The project intends to adopt an integrated and multi-sectoral intervention methodology, which is able to combine the following themes in a synergic way, aimed at preparing the basis for the development of an efficient model of sustainable and responsible tourism: a) inclusive governance, based on the European Community-Led Local Development (CLLD) approach; b) community activation and mobilization, based on the principles of co-design and community-based approaches; c) inclusive and sustainable entrepreneurship (from an economic, social and environmental point of view).
The Project also focuses on some cross-cutting issues, such as youth and women employment, integrated promotion of the territory, and connectivity at the European and international levels (with a view to European integration).
The main target groups of the initiative are the communities living in the areas related to the lakes, the active and emerging tourist operators, the Municipalities of Shkoder, Malesi and Madhe and Pogradec. The indirect beneficiaries are the rest of the population of the target areas, the users of the enhanced tourist services. The three-year project aims to achieve the aforementioned objective by improving the skills of local actors and the tourism ecosystem of the two target areas.
To pursue such an end, the Project aims to achieve the following Expected Results:
• the governance of the two target areas is strengthened in terms of inclusiveness, sustainability and connectivity with other European and international environments (R1)
• the ownership of communities in the design of interventions to support the sustainable and responsible tourism sector is enhanced (R2).
• the offer of sustainable and responsible tourism operators in the target areas is enriched and innovated (R3).
The project partnership includes an extensive and complementary set of know-how and experiences in each of the thematic areas of reference for the project. In addition to the CSOs of the ATS, COSV and VIS, the formation of the partnership reflects a bottom-up development vision, through i) the involvement of Albanian and international networks of civil society, ii) of a prominent Albanian public academic institution European, and iii) two Italian organizations with experience in participatory planning and sustainable environmental management.
COSV is looking for a Project and Country Coordinator to support the administrative and programmatic management of AICS funded Laghi d’Albania project in Albania. We are looking for an exceptionally motivated, knowledgeable, reliable, flexible and driven individual who is able to work independently. Under the supervision of the COSV Regional Manager for the Western Balkans, and in coordination with the project’s other consortium members based both in Italy and Albania, the candidate will be responsible for donor regulation compliance, contracting, and financial tracking, forecasting, reporting and administration of overall project implementation. He/she will also work closely with the Regional Manager for the WB and other team members of COSV to develop concept notes and other programme documentation.
This position will be based in Tirana with frequent trips to the country.
The CC will be contracted for a 12-month period, which, upon satisfactory performance, could be extended further. The CC reports to the COSV Regional Manager for the WB.
Project administration and management
• Ensure the project implementation is conducted in compliance with AICS, COSV and applicable Government of Albania regulations
• Monitor and control expenditure against project budgets, conduct financial forecasting and contribute to financial reporting
• Coordinate the collection of information for substantive project reports, including
interim and/or annual update reports
• Contribute to the design and monitoring of work plans and monitoring & evaluation
(M&E) tools in consultation with COSV technical experts to ensure the project delivers against objectives meets donor requirements and aligns with the COSV in the Balkans programme strategy
• In coordination with the project’s technical experts, ensure deliverables are delivered on time, meet objectives and are in compliance with donor requirements.
• Ensure adequate project documentation
• Collate documentation/other administrative requirements to comply with due diligence and grant requirements
• Support other COSV development efforts in Albania and the Western Balkans
• Design and lead the project planning and implementation by liaising with partner organizations, consultants and beneficiaries on programmatic and administrative
matters as required by the project’s technical experts
• Facilitate and support the coordination between consortium members and the COSV team
• Contribute to stakeholder management, including but not limited to government
counterparts, donors, partners, civil society representatives, etc.
Functional Responsibilities for the Management of the COSV Albanian branch include:
• Country offices oversight and Team management
• Alliance building, networking and advocacy
• Service delivery and quality assurance
• Representation and inter-agency partnership
• Knowledge management and innovation
• Facilitate a good organization of the teamwork
Qualifications and skills
• Master’s degree in law, political sciences, international relations, public or business
management, or other relevant fields
• At least five years of experience administering national and/or international funded development projects, preferably projects funded by the AICS/Italian Government.
• Good knowledge of EU and AICS funding regulations
• Substantial experience in costing and budgeting as well as financial management for
• Experience writing operational reports
• Experience working on development projects in the areas of sustainable tourism, social entrepreneurship, and environmental protection is not a requirement but a definite advantage
• Experience liaising with Non-EU Government agencies and state-owned enterprises an advantage
• Experience with M&E is an advantage.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and across time zones while maintaining
close contact with the team, communicating transparently and proactively, and reliably
adhering to timelines.
• Conflict management and negotiation skills.
Full working knowledge of English and Italian is essential
Knowledge of Albanian is an asset
We offer an interesting and rewarding working environment with a proactive, dynamic and international team spirit. The work is both routine and varied and offers scope for initiative and innovation.
Please send your written application (CV, letter of motivation, reference letters and contact details of three professional references; all documents merged in a single PDF file), at your earliest convenience, but no later than 31 May 2022 by email to:
For further information about this position, please contact
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. COSV reserve the right to close this vacancy before the deadline mentioned above in case of a high volume of suitable applications.