JOB TITLE: Accountant And Finance Officer, Albania
PLACE OF WORK: Tirana
EMPLOYMENT RATE: 100 %
START DATE: August/September 2022 or shortly thereafter
DURATION: 1 year with the possibility of extension
COSV – Coordinamento delle Organizzazioni del Servizio Volontario is an organization with legal personality, established in Italy in 1968, engaged in carrying out development interventions and humanitarian aid in Europe, the Balkans, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East. Peace, respect for human rights, environmental protection are the main pillars on which COSV action is focused, pursuing a comprehensive development approach, coordinating with local communities and establishing strategic partnerships and networking.
COSV në Shqipëri, as a local branch of COSV, is a non-profit organization active in Albania since 2018. COSV is currently implementing in the country the following Projects:
Green-Al “Empower Grass-Root CSOs for Improved Innovative Environmental Protection in Albania” is funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) in partnership with Co-PLAN, Institute for Habitat Development, CISP Sviluppo dei Popoli and VIS Albania aiming to strengthen environmental organisations, promoting cooperation between civil society actors, public authorities and the private sector as well as to advocate and address environmental issues in Albania.
Toka Jone, an EU funded Project under Instrument Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA II) of the EU Budget (EuropeAid/171607/DD/ACT/AL). TOKA JONE is expected to Support Social Entrepreneurship through re-use of confiscated lands and the promotion of social agriculture. The Project is implemented by a consortium led by COSV in partnership with the Albanian Network for Rural development (ANRD) and Consorzio Nazionale della Cooperazione di solidarietà sociale Gino Matterelli (CGM) – with its affiliated entity Consorzio La Rada (CLR), in collaboration with the Agency for the Administration of the Seized and Confiscated Assets (AAPSK) with the direct and intense support of the 2 Municipalities of Durres and Tirana.
COSV në Shqipëri works in accordance with the COSV Integrated Programme for the Western Balkans, focusing on promoting fair societies and social inclusion, the conservation of natural capital and the support for sustainable economy and tourism.
Lakes of Albania ( Laghi d’Albania) is an AICS funded Project aiming to promote innovative models of sustainable and responsible tourism in the areas related to the two main lakes of Albania – Lake Shkoder and Lake Pogradec/Ohrid – as opposed to models of invasive tourism and development in strong expansion throughout the Albanian territory, in order to contribute to the inclusive economic growth of Albania.
The project intends to adopt an integrated and multi-sectoral intervention methodology, which is able to combine the following themes in a synergic way, aimed at preparing the basis for the development of an efficient model of sustainable and responsible tourism: a) inclusive governance, based on the European Community-Led Local Development (CLLD) approach; b) community activation and mobilization, based on the principles of co-design and community-based approaches; c) inclusive and sustainable entrepreneurship (from an economic, social and environmental point of view).
The Project also focuses on some cross-cutting issues, such as youth and women employment, integrated promotion of the territory, and connectivity at the European and international levels (with a view to European integration).
The main target groups of the initiative are: the communities living in the areas related to the lakes, the active and emerging tourist operators, the Municipalities of Shkoder, Malesi and Madhe and Pogradec. The indirect beneficiaries are the rest of the population of the target areas and the users of the enhanced tourist services. The three-year project aims to achieve the aforementioned objective by improving the skills of local actors and the tourism ecosystem of the two target areas.
To pursue such an end, the Project aims to achieve the following Expected Results:
• the governance of the two target areas is strengthened in terms of inclusiveness, sustainability and connectivity with other European and international environments (R1)
• the ownership of communities in the design of interventions to support the sustainable and responsible tourism sector is enhanced (R2).
• the offer of sustainable and responsible tourism operators in the target areas is enriched and innovated (R3).
The project partnership includes an extensive and complementary set of know-how and experiences in each of the thematic areas of reference for the project. In addition to the CSOs of the ATS, COSV and VIS, the formation of the partnership reflects a bottom-up development vision, through i) the involvement of Albanian and international networks of civil society, ii) of a prominent Albanian public academic institution European, and iii) two Italian organizations with experience in participatory planning and sustainable environmental management.
Purpose of the role
We are looking for an experienced Accountant who will be responsible for the management and implementation of all aspects of financial and administrative operations of the branch, in compliance with COSV’s procedures and deadlines.
• Ensure the correct implementation and management of branch administration;
• Ensure the correct application of Administrative and purchases procedures;
• Ensure the good accounting management of the project, in accordance with COSV and external donors procedures and monitoring project system and in collaboration with the country management and the HQ;
• Support the budget management of the program.
• Ensure timely and compliant expense payment processes;
• Monthly preparation and check documents (including cash and banks reconciliation and monthly funds request);
• Preparation of budget amendments in liaison with the Project Manager, CR, HQ and support in the preparation of project budget planning and development;
• Facilitate timely and compliant payment of salaries for project staff and consultants
• Supervision and monitoring, accordingly to donors’ procedure, of partners’ financial reporting;
• Supervision and monitoring of all the administrative aspects of the branch and continuous budget monitoring, including support in Annual Audit;
• Preparation of project financial reports and annexes according to donor requirements.
• Facilitating the compiling of audit-ready project financial reports by classifying and accurately filing all relevant documents;
• Facilitating external auditors’ evaluations;
• Assist in the supervision of the stocks/inventory documentation of the branch;
• Assist in the follow-up of procedures and requirements on project agreements;
• Ensure quality, transparency and efficiency in all aspects of the work;
• Maintain a high level of confidentiality of all documents and issues pertaining to the organization;
• Perform additional jobs upon request
• Master’s degree in law, political sciences, international relations, public or business management, or other relevant fields
• University degree in financial/Administrative subjects;
• A minimum of five years of relevant working experience is required;
• At least three years of demonstrated successful experience in international relief and development in a similar position are required;
• Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication, negotiation skills, multi-tasking and organizational skills;
• Excellent knowledge of double-entry accounting
• Proven capacity to work in a team;
• Fluency in English and Italian language;
• Computer literate;
• Previous work experience in international and/or AICS-funded projects;
• Demonstrated ability to work in stressful environments and under pressure;
We offer an interesting and rewarding working environment with a proactive, dynamic and international team spirit. The salary is commensurate with similar positions in Tirana.
Please send your written application (CV, letter of motivation, reference letters and contact details of three professional references; all documents merged in a single PDF file), at your earliest convenience, but no later than 15 August 2022 by email to:
For further information about this position, please contact
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. COSV reserve the right to close this vacancy before the deadline mentioned above in case of a high volume of suitable applications.